This pea with an edible pod is half the calories of regular peas and high in fiber, vitamin C, K, A and folic acid. Cucumbers have a compound called lignans which provides nourishment to your gut bacteria and has anti-inflammatory properties. Adding lemon juice and ginger to vegetables are great ways to spark your taste buds as well as obtain great cancer fighters called limonene and gingerol.
This salad is very refreshing and easy.
- ½ lb. of sugar snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber, sliced (can substitute peeled and seeded local cucumbers when they are in season)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 Tb. Olive oil
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. grated ginger
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep the sugar snap peas, cucumber and shallot and toss in a salad bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, ginger, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Combine the dressing and the chopped vegetables.