|Kale is a leafy green vegetable|
with many cancer-fighting qualities.
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic* (more if you like)
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 inch of peeled fresh ginger, chopped or grated.
- 2-1 inch cinnamon sticks, left whole
- 2 bay leaves, left whole
- 1/2 lb. carrots, chopped
- 4 cups, cleaned (washed) or torn kale
- 1 large partially cooked sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- *Can cook in microwave for 8-10 minutes
Sauté first six ingredients until tender, but not brown (approximately 5 minutes). Add carrots and 2 cups water. Cook until carrots are tender (approximately 20 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Add kale, sweet potato and 2 cups water. Cook until kale is wilted, but still bright in color. Sweet potatoes will break up slightly (or you can smash about half the sweet potato) and thicken the broth. Remove the whole cinnamon sticks and bay leaves before eating. Season with salt and pepper to you liking.
Serve with a tossed salad made with lots of different greens and fresh whole grain bread, using more olive oil or hummus for a spread.
Want another recipe using kale? Click here for a recipe for a delicious chopped kale salad.
Source: Suzanne Dixon, MPH, MS, RD, Cancer Nutrition Information, LLC, http://www.cancernutritioninfo.com/
Content for this post provided by Joan Karnell Cancer Center.