As we stated in last week's post, beans are a food that is ripe with phytochemicals, which are natural compounds in food that scientists believe may play a role in cancer prevention. With the summer months approaching, this tasty recipe for "Hot and Smokey Baked Beans" is a perfect side dish to be enjoyed at a barbecue or a family cook out!
- 1 and 1/2 lb. dried great northern white beans (3 and 1/2 - 4 cups)
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 and 1/4 cup tomato based barbecue sauce
- 12 oz. tomato based salsa
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp. salt
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Combine cooked beans, reserved liquid, chopped onion, barbecue sauce, salsa, brown sugar, mustard, molasses and additional salt to taste in same large pot. Cover pot and bake bean mixture one hour. Uncover and bake until bean mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes longer.
Recipe provided compliments of Victor R. LeVeque.